Apprentices in the Finishing Trades make excellent wages and benefits, and are in demand!
Scroll through this entire web page to get all the information you need
Why Join the IUPAT as an Apprentice? Watch the Video now!
1. Grade 10 education or equivalency as recognized in Ontario;
2. Have the capacity to understand and perform the trade mathematics, trade English language, and other trade related technical academic skills;
3. Possess appropriate hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity;
4. Be physically fit sufficient to work in construction;
5. A strong commitment to complete the Apprenticeship program;
6. Successfully complete the application process including an in-person suitability interview;
7. Possess a valid driver’s licence or be eligible to obtain one; and
8. Must have legal permission to work in Canada (i.e. have a valid Social Insurance Number)
Step 1: Ensure that you meet the Prerequisites above
Step 2: Register for an Apprentice Intake Assessment Session on our website or in person
Step 3: Study for the Intake Assessment by reviewing the Self Study Package (below)
Step 4: Attend your scheduled Intake Assessment Session. Be on time and prepared.
Step 5: Successful Candidates will be contacted for an interview and a basic hands-on assessment
Step 6: Finally, Candidates will be invited to a two week Work-Preparation course where they will receive Free job specific training to prepare them to succeed in their chosen career path. During this two weeks, new members will be invited to join the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades and start their career as soon as work becomes available.
Self Study Package: trades_math_workbook
Applicants must pass a basic written and hands on test
- We are looking for motivated, reliable, hard working team players who recognize the benefits that working in a Unionized Trade in Ontario can bring
- Candidates will be ranked based on their suitability for employment in their chosen Trade
- Employment in the construction trades in Ontario can have slow and busy periods. Employment is driven by the demands of the industry.
- See below and the Apprenticeship calendar for the next intake for the trade you are interested in.
- Two or more intakes are run every year, so check back soon if registration is currently closed
- A $200 deposit for Union initiation fee and OCOT Apprentice Registration will be collected at the start of the two week training period for selected candidates. This money will be used for your Union initiation fee and OCOT Apprentice Registration once you complete the two week course and join the IUPAT. All training is provided FREE.
- Initial Intake assessment sessions are approximately 2 hours long
- More information on our trades can be found here: Glazier, Painter Decorator – Commercial Residential, Painter Decorator – Industrial
Upcoming Intake Dates (All 3 Trades):
Intake/Test: Monday 10 July, 3:00pm, 130 Toro Rd Unit C Toronto ON (OIFSC Training Centre)
Intake/Test: Friday 3 November, 1:00pm, 130 Toro Rd Unit C Toronto ON (OIFSC Training Centre)
Need more info?
Learn more about becoming a Glazier Here
Learn more about becoming a Painter Here